Monday 3 April 2017

Aluminium light

‘Aluminium light’-Viviene Hanna-Artt

The looms are closing in like the sea
Hundreds of threads surrounding me
The noise so loud
I can hear it at home
When I go to bed
I need peace and a pillow
Away from the clickety-clack in my head

New York

I stepped off the plane and glared at the lights
My eyes opened like touching jewels in the night
The buildings were so tall
People held out their hands to flag down cabs to invite
Then I had a ride on the subway
Studying a map
Some people were friendly
Some people were rude
It was busy and mad

Passion and dreams were all around
Thousands of people walking the town
Beeping horns and police car sirens
Ambulances and brave firemen

New Yorkers singing and dancing in the streets
Going to the theatre, taking their seats
Broadway and Manhattan
The place they say ‘Anything Can Happen’

There seemed to be anger and attitude
But lots and lots of gratitude
The arts and galleries were so inspiring
I got out my notebook and had a go at writing

You could buy delicious salads on salad bars
Hotdogs,bagels,pizza,keeping your eye out
For the famous,the stars

If you go to New York in the spring
It’s even more beautiful like a perfect ring
Yellow roses ,models taking poses
Everyone trying to get on the TV
Or queing on the steps of the Statue of Liberty
Going up the Great Empire State building
Watching your coffee cup filling
In an age of surplus clothes and trainers
Slimmers and weight gainers
Watching the screen for the great entertainers
And political campaigners
Portion sizes make me angry
Spending all your time in the pantry
Before you can drink you are starting families
I guess that makes me British

9/11 broke my heart,the World Trade Centre falling to the ground
To think when I was last there I was looking at prom gowns
I would love to go to Madison park
Even sing at Madison park,ride on a horse and cart
Do some drawing on Central park

Bloomingdales and Macys ,all kinds of faces
Expensive lip sticks for a boy’s kisses
We went to a jazz club but I preferred the English pub!
The romantic Rockafeller Centre,Christmas trees,
People going on shopping sprees

An ice ring,all twirling girls and boys
Gospel church joy
I wish I had seen Niagara Falls or wrote the music
For when some credits rolled
I worship David Letterman
He makes me smile
I’ve sat in the audience like a happy child
The magic of tourists taking photos,remembering John and Yoko
I saw a poster of Madonna
Lit some candles and prayed for the same honour

I love New York



No comments:

Post a Comment