Monday 3 April 2017

The Thimble

The Thimble

Nan opened her magic sewing box
She said ‘let’s fix those cotton socks’!
Buttons for our coats and socks
Ribbons for all kinds of locks
Then Nan passed me a silver thimble
I put it on my finger and felt it’s dimples
I asked Nan ‘What are these for’?
She said ‘To protect you from a needle
I wondered on the way home,
What else could thimbles be used for?
Maybe they could be cups or larger ones as huts!
I imagined little people at sea using thimbles as boats
Eating nimble bread,telling jokes,dreaming of tinsel and a life more simple,
Minstrels singing the warmest notes.
Then I decided they could be used as party hats!
Or a cooking pot making hot pot in Preston Lancs
They would be like stepping stones to a new life,
Over streams and towards.
As seats or as a drum,little people would be dancing around
When I was young I really just wanted to hold them and play and send the boy
Round the corner a kiss a day

The Theatre

I remember the building all in lights
I was all dressed up in sparkling tights
The doors were heavy and majestic,very,very,atmospheric
I walked up the steps holding the golden rail
People inline for tickets and a tale
My cheeks were flush
The carpet was red and lush
And soft,the curtains so soft I wanted to hide in them
Then the ice cream lady arrived and
All the children sky dived!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment