Saturday 25 November 2017

The Poem

‘The poem with this music is complete’-Claude McKay

Jasmines

It’s a small world

I decided to take a trip to Australia
I was tired of feeling like a failure
My uncle had built a house in Tasmania
I wanted to go walkabout,find bush tucker and dahlia

Some of it was quite familiar
I walked around the market for memorabilia
They still had Special K,Walkers crisps, cadburys factory and Heinz
The kangaroo’s had massive behinds!
I went to an aborigine art gallery,and who should I bump into but Valerie!
I hadn’t seen her in 20 years,we went to school together and
Reminisced with beers!12000 miles away from home!

‘My own sailor hat’

When I was three I had my own sailors hat
There is nothing more cool than that!
My grandad took me to New York
And he showed me where the Titanic would have port

He took me in a Macy’s store
And held my hand on the escalators
He took me to see the statue of Liberty
And taught me all it’s history

We went up the Empire State building
But at first I was unwilling
I looked up at Times Square
Yellow cabs were beeping everywhere

The lights were so bright,I dreamed I could write
For Broadway,for film and stay up all night!
I wanted to sing my little heart out
There were lot’s and lot’s of street performers about

Then we went to McDonalds
It was my favourite place in the world
The weather was really,really hot
We had snowcones and lollypops!

We went into an art gallery and then
The New York State library,borrowing
We watched New Yorkers on the street arguing
The steam rose from above us
The hotels went up so high

This was 1983,I jumped up and down excitedly
Grandad took my picture with a polaroid
I wondered if I would see an asteroid
When I got home I made the New York skyline with
Stickle bricks,
I dreamed of returning and counted the minutes
Maybe I could go on a sleigh with St Nick!
Grandad was in the navy all his life
He showed me the ocean,the horizon and
How to fly a kite

I miss my Grandad

Sweets,chocs,nuts
Is it better than self-harming?
Some people are covered in cuts
Or pluking their guts
Does it feel like no one gives a fuck?
Is that why they mess with their looks?
I eat because life gets too much
It’s an emptiness,a loneliness
A neglect of love
Someone stop me ,I don’t want to self-destruct
The clouds are gathering,I need some luck

The perfect lips
The perfect bum
What are we really running from?

My secret is…….
Not ready to tell!

The World when I’m asleep
Has Angels protecting me from creeps
The World when I’m asleep
Has stars that light up my street
The World when I’m asleep
Has flowers tickling me feet
The World when I’m asleep
Has fairies that stop me weep



No comments:

Post a Comment