Tuesday 2 May 2017

Short story

Lisa Howarth Short story

I crepted up the stairs,the wind was howling outside like ghosts holding a tune.
I put out my toes to feel each step because I couldn’t see a thing!
Reaching for the rail I remember thinking I could do with a candle but when
I got to my room the door opened on its own!Even the curtains were moving.
I decided to investigate,carefully pulling a curtain back and holding my breath.
The window was open!But, I saw a bat flying past and immediately shut it tight!
Goodness me.Even the trees were looking distressed and the leaves were curling and swirling in
waves.I kept thinking there was a monster outside my bedroom window,a monster made of
Wood chippings climbing my house.I dreamt I was kidnapped by the wood monster and
Taken to the chipper myself.
Then,the morning arrived.Everything looked like poetry,the birds singing,the sun and the flowers.
And the smell of fresh clothing on the line really put a spring in my step!
The clock struck 6.I had a busy day ahead on the market selling plants,garden ornaments
And outdoor stuff.It was my mother’s stall.We had lovely little waterfalls and bird huts and food.
At home we had a big wooden shed in our back garden but we never went inside,that was
Where the wood monster lived!
We didn’t even look through the shed window.We thought bats were flying around it at night,
Circling around it like they were looking for someone.
One night I decided to go outside the house with a very large torch,it was dark
But I really wanted to see inside the shed.So,I was quiet and grabbed a large stick just in case.
Each step I got closer my feet got colder.I was wearing a nightie and dressing gown and careful
Not to step on the cracks in the pavement because that would be bad luck!
So I approached the shed and slowly unlocked the door.I wondered if there would be any mice
And spiders!Maybe there was a family of animals!Lot’s and lot’s of animals!
I pushed the door and saw spider webs,old deckchairs but no wood monster!
Not even one chip!So,I returned to bed,proud of myself.
But then I thought what if he was hiding in the garage?Hiding under the car?
Or hiding behind the hedge?In the trees?
What if there was a secret world through the rose bush where everyone was invited?!!!
I thought,’I really must find it’.





No comments:

Post a Comment